Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Advice to newbie artists

I have been busy, busy, busy.  It seems like just yesterday when I decided to start selling some of my artwork and I didn't know where to sell or how to sell, etc. In the past few months I have started to figure out how to get my art out there and I would like to pass on some of my new-found knowledge to any art newbies out there.
The first place I started was online on an e-commerce site called Zibbet. I didn't really know what I was doing but it was free to sign up and free to sell any art item so I figured I had nothing to lose. I than found Etsy--which is a great place to sell your artwork online. It costs $.20 cents to list each item and they take 3 per cent if you sell something but it's definitely worth it because of all the arts and crafts e-commerce sites out there, Etsy gets the most traffic.I have sold  6 pieces to date.
Another way of getting your artwork out into the world is to look on Craigs List in your local area --look under "community" and "artists" and you would  be surprised how many venues you can find. Retail stores looking for local art , craft fairs looking for art vendors, or galleries searching for new artists. I now have my artwork in 3 different stores after finding them on Craigs List.
Other ways of getting your art out there is to google the term "call to artists" --this will give local or international venues --any gallery out there that is looking for artists submissions. You might want to type in the name of your area first and then call to artists to keep it local. Some good online call to artists sites that I have found are http://www.art-3000.com/call_for_artists/ and http://www.asingularcreation.com/ .
The last idea I have for you is to find a local art group to join. I am not a "joiner" by any means but the art group I joined called "Westchase Artists Society" has been very helpful. Every meeting there is a list of venues that we can get involved in, be it craft fair or art gallery.
I hope some or all of this blog has been of some assistance when it come to getting your stuff out there. The biggest problem you should have as an emerging artist is having too many places to sell your art.
Peace and love,
amy

No comments:

Post a Comment