Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Opposite of Artist's Block

There is a condition known as artist's block or creative block that from what I understand means that an artist cannot create because their inspiration and/or creative ideas have dried up. I am having the opposite problem right now: I have way, way, way too many ideas floating around in my brain. Everything I see around me is a possible sculpture to create. I have soooooo many little pieces of paper with drawings and scribbled notes floating around that it would take me several lifetimes to produce those designs. It is frustrating to say the least. Its hard to concentrate on making one thing when you have a hundred other ideas pushing to get out and the other ideas are trying to persuade you to give up on your current idea (read that last sentence a few times--it will eventually make sense)  So for all of those artists that complain that inspiration is nowhere to be found just remember it could be worse--you could have the opposite of artist's block (I tried to think of a creative term for the 'opposite of artist's block' but I guess I have writer's block)
peace and love,
Amy's Brain
amy

2 comments:

  1. I love this! And I know just what you mean - I, too, have more ideas for new work than I'll ever have time for...I'd need to live to be at least 250 years old. Maybe the opposite of 'artists block' is 'artists gush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, you might be on to something there-- "artists gush" --awesome phrase, I definitely will use that one!!! Any time I need help coming up with some words I know who to turn to now.Thanks,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete